These came via recommendation from Devon. The first one was "Pressure Cooker" which I really thought was a cool idea. It's about a high school culinary arts teacher who spends the year preparing students for a competition that will hopefully win them scholarships for culinary art school. I wish I had that opportunity in high school. Although, I didn't even know I loved to cook when I was in high school.
I Recommend this one, fully!
The second one I watched was "No Impact Man" which I will admit was entertaining and it would have been really good except I found the idea that he was writing a book MADE OF PAPER after this year of not making an impact about his journey NOT MAKING ANY IMPACT. Hahah. It was still worth the watch. It made me realize that Organic Meat actually SUCKS because they just let sick animals die :( Now I don't know which meat to eat... They should make a "friendly" label... Like we don't treat this animal like shit but we use antibiotics only when they are sick.
Tuesday, August 24, 2010
So I got a chance to watch my first documentary on my 101 in 1001 list. It was called "No One Dies in Lily Dale". It was actually pretty interesting. It was about this little township in New York that has over 40 registered psychic mediums living there.
Monday, August 23, 2010
These questions have no right or wrong answers.
Because sometimes asking the right questions is the answer.
- How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you are?
23 on the verge of 50. I think I perpetually feel young at heart but I have always felt a but wiser than my age. So I am young without the urges to act like a total idiot.
- Which is worse, failing or never trying?
Never trying. I never want to have any substantial “what if” moments. At least with “failing” you can still have that little bit of pride that comes with trying.
- If life is so short, why do we do so many things we don’t like and like so many things we don’t do?
I DON’T do anything I don’t like. I know a lot of people who do though. I try to do the things I like but there just isn’t enough resources and time to do it all.
- When it’s all said and done, will you have said more than you’ve done?
I have said a lot and haven’t done them but I’ve done MOST of what I have said I would do.
- What is the one thing you’d most like to change about the world?
I’d change how sensitive people are to the things that don’t matter and how insensitive they are to the things that do.
- If happiness was the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?
Being a stay at home mom with a small café on the side that I could bake and cook for.
- Are you doing what you believe in, or are you settling for what you are doing?
It’s all a work in process. I am GOING to be doing what I believe in.
- If the average human life span was 40 years, how would you live your life differently?
I would have travelled from 15-20 and then had kids.
- To what degree have you actually controlled the course your life has taken?
I am merely a woman in a boat and I control whether or not I fall out of it, otherwise I’m just along for the ride. I don’t believe one can control their course just the general direction.
- Are you more worried about doing things right, or doing the right things?
Doing things right! Even the wrong things need to be done right.
- You’re having lunch with three people you respect and admire. They all start criticizing a close friend of yours, not knowing she is your friend. The criticism is distasteful and unjustified. What do you do?
Defend my friend to the teeth if I have to but give those people the option to shut it before I begin laying into them.
- If you could offer a newborn child only one piece of advice, what would it be?
Love for yourself is the most important thing in life.
- Would you break the law to save a loved one?
Absolutely. Laws protect the establishment mostly… I would definitely make an exception if it meant saving a loved one.
- Have you ever seen insanity where you later saw creativity?
I’ve never seen insanity. I always see creativity.
- What’s something you know you do differently than most people?
I think differently than most but that’s okay.
- How come the things that make you happy don’t make everyone happy?
Because they aren’t me.
- What one thing have you not done that you really want to do? What’s holding you back?
Scuba Diving. FEAR and LOTS of it.
- Are you holding onto something you need to let go of?
Always. It’s the mountain I have yet to climb but plan to.
- If you had to move to a state or country besides the one you currently live in, where would you move and why?
Santa Cruz, California. Because I fell in love with it and the feel of it. It just feels right for my family and that’s most important to me.
- Do you push the elevator button more than once? Do you really believe it makes the elevator faster?
- Would you rather be a worried genius or a joyful simpleton?
Depends on the day.
- Why are you, you?
Because I wouldn’t want to be anyone else.
- Have you been the kind of friend you want as a friend?
Not always but these are things I am working on.
- Which is worse, when a good friend moves away, or losing touch with a good friend who lives right near you?
- What are you most grateful for?
My family is a happy and healthy one.
- Would you rather lose all of your old memories, or never be able to make new ones?
Oh wow that’s a good one. I don’t know.
- Is it possible to know the truth without challenging it first?
I guess it would depend on what kind of truth we are talking about. There is absolute truth which you have to challenge and blind truth which is just about having faith.
- Has your greatest fear ever come true?
No. But it is inevitable. Everyone dies someday.
- Do you remember that time 5 years ago when you were extremely upset? Does it really matter now?
Not at all.
- What is your happiest childhood memory? What makes it so special?
I think my happiest memories were Christmases because my mom and dad were both home and we spent 2 days together. They both worked and traded off so we didn’t have to have too many babysitters so they were rarely together.
- At what time in your recent past have you felt most passionate and alive?
When I am camping with my family in the outdoors.
- If not now, then when?
- If you haven’t achieved it yet, what do you have to lose?
- Have you ever been with someone, said nothing, and walked away feeling like you just had the best conversation ever?
All the time… with my husband.
- Why do religions that support love cause so many wars?
Because people are very passionate about their beliefs.
- Is it possible to know, without a doubt, what is good and what is evil?
“Evil” makes “good” amazing.
- If you just won a million dollars, would you quit your job?
Yes. And then work towards getting the job I want. I have to work.
- Would you rather have less work to do, or more work you actually enjoy doing?
More work I enjoy doing… Although I enjoy all the work I do now.
- Do you feel like you’ve lived this day a hundred times before?
Thankfully, No. Every day feels new to me still.
- When was the last time you marched into the dark with only the soft glow of an idea you strongly believed in?
None of my ideas have a soft glow J They are more like bright flames!
- If you knew that everyone you know was going to die tomorrow, who would you visit today?
I’d stay with my family.
- Would you be willing to reduce your life expectancy by 10 years to become extremely attractive or famous?
- What is the difference between being alive and truly living?
Being “Alive” is just breathing and aware. “Truly living” is using every opportunity you have to experience what life has to offer.
- When is it time to stop calculating risk and rewards, and just go ahead and do what you know is right?
If it is truly “right” then what is the risk? There is only reward.
- If we learn from our mistakes, why are we always so afraid to make a mistake?
Because making mistakes are mostly discouraging when looked at from the wrong perspective.
- What would you do differently if you knew nobody would judge you?
I would have paid more attention to what was important in high school.
- When was the last time you noticed the sound of your own breathing?
Yesterday while holding my newborn son.
- What do you love? Have any of your recent actions openly expressed this love?
I love my husband and my two boys more than life will ever allow me to express but I try to show them every day.
- In 5 years from now, will you remember what you did yesterday? What about the day before that? Or the day before that?
I don’t remember what I did yesterday NOW. hahah
- Decisions are being made right now. The question is: Are you making them for yourself, or are you letting others make them for you?
I most definitely make them for myself!
Sunday, August 22, 2010
Aaron got me the "Good Eats" dvd box set and I saw this recipe and thought.... oooh I wanna make that so I threw it on my day zero list and **DRUM ROLL PLEASE** Here it is!!!
Thanks to Devon for inspiring Aaron and I to do this!
Here's Devon's Blog about her journey.
Thanks to Devon for inspiring Aaron and I to do this!
Here's Devon's Blog about her journey.
Inspired by my friend Devon to do this and I really do think that this might be the most amazing journey I will have embarked on (www.dayzeroproject.com). The items I have completed will be updated in red and I will try to post pictures and descriptions of my adventures as I go!!!
1. Visit a winery
2. Have dinner at a fancy restaurant.
3. See the Grand Canyon.
4. Try Indian food.
5. Go to Hawaii
6. Finally get chest tattoo removed
7. Do yoga 1x a week
8. Paint a painting
9. Potty train Sage
10. Knit one garment for myself
11. Learn more about Greek Mythology
12. Bake a berry pie from scratch
13. Read one Jane Austen book.
14. Get a Tattoo for Sage
15. Get a Tattoo for Archer
16. Read to the kids every day
17. Learn more sweet photoshop skills
18. Video record 2x a month
19. Blog 1x a week
20. Complete Nursing School.
21. Visit Portland
22. Weigh 145 lbs. (213)
23. Obtain a passport so we can travel.
24. Bake a "Good Eats" Blueberry Buckle
25. Buy 10 things on Etsy (0/10)
26. Go to a Renaissance Faire
27. Go Vegetarian for one week
28. See if I can grow eyelashes using Latisse
29. Run 2 miles without stopping
30. Have a picnic
31. Donate to a different charity once a month
32. Go on a Family vacation up the PCH
33. Go Camping
34. Rent a cabin in Utah or California
35. Write one letter/postcard a month to a friend.
36. Bake a loaf of bread
37. Bake cupcakes from scratch
38. Get family photos taken
39. Learn how to drive 3 on the tree
40. Pay off Discover card
41. Answer the "50 Questions That Will Free Your Mind"
42. Go to a concert
43. Identify 100 things that makes me happy (0/100)
44. Influence a person to make a day zero list
45. Host a dinner party
46. Clean out my closet
47. Go a whole day without swearing
48. Go Fishing
49. Learn how to make 5 origami items (0/5)
50. Learn to snowboard
51. Get 3 services done at a spa in one day
52. Buy a pair of boots
53. Host a wine tasting at my house
54. Go to 10 new restaurants (0/10)
55. Learn how to make eggs benedict from scratch
56. Go to a Sunday Brunch
57. Make a list of 25 things that I like about myself and stick it to my mirror
58. Write letters to my kids for when they are older
59. Learn how to make Tamales
60. Buy my husband a better wedding ring.
61. Buy an antique tea cup and saucer
62. Prepare one authentic korean meal
63. Sell, donate or get rid of 101 items (0/101)
64. Buy a pair of TOMS shoes
65. Go Ziplining
66. Become CPR certified
67. Make a list of the 50 best moments of my life so far
68. Go on a Kayaking trip
69. Make a list of top ten ways to be happy and post it online.
70. Read a book about buddhism
71. Read an autobiography
72. Go on a date with Aaron and let him pick my meal.
73. Refrain from dyeing my hair black again.
74. Watch a live surgery
75. Take the boys to see snow for the first time
76. Convert 5 NORMAL recipes into Weight Watchers friendly ones (0/5)
77. Take the boys to the San Diego Zoo
78. Write 10 e-mails to 10 people telling them the top ten reasons they are great. (0/10)
79. Teach Sage his colors
80. Don't access internet for one whole weekend
81. Go snorkeling
82. Swim with a sea turtle
83. Drive a scooter
84. Go crabbing/fishin in SF with Paul
85. Buy a lottery ticket
86. Buy an antique pie dish/pan
87. Sell 5 things on etsy (0/5)
88. Watch 20 Documentaries (3/20)
89. Learn how to say "Thank You" in 10 different languages. (0/10)
90. Eat Pho with Tony.
91. Rekindle one old friendship.
92. Sew a quilt
93. Go see Lady Gaga in concert
94. Buy a piece of Art
95. Go to the Molto Farmer's Market
96. Sew one new baby wrap
97. Give one homemade baby wrap away as a gift
98. Take a picture of Aaron and I once a month.
99. Bake a chocolate souffle
100. Write a poem
101. Submit a piece of writing to be published